Blog August 2017
Is it just me or has the summer flown by? It’s August already so not long until the kids go back to school and things go back to a more normal routine for many of us!
This month we love bananas! Let me tell you why!
- They are great for our happy hormone and sleepy hormones!
- There take care of our blood pressure and heart health
- They are packed with fibre to help our digestion
- Pumped with vitamins and minerals
- They form part of my favourite pre workout snack- toast topped with nut butter and banana.
This month I’m loving HIIT (High Interval Intensity Training). Let me tell you why:
- HIIT is short bursts of working superhard, followed by a little rest then repeat it
- My HIIT is 15-20 minutes long, I find any longer than 20 minutes and I’m not doing it properly.
- The exercises tend to be full body exercises like burpees and generally don’t require any equipment
- I tend to do HIIT workouts if I know I won’t make it to the gym or it’s lashing rain outside.
- HIIT is a really popular way for people of all abilities to train and I would definitely recommend giving it a go.
Gadget of the month:
My kitchen has a new hero and it is called the KeepCup. Its mission is to encourage the use of reusable cups and I consider it one of the small things I can do to reduce my waste and carbon footprint. It’s a bonus that it looks cool. Online you’ll find them @KeepCup
This month we want to know your favourite use of our hero ingredient the banana, do you slice it on toast, use it in a smoothie or use it for baking. Holler at us with your use (even a recipe for me to try) and you’ll be in with a chance to win a fit foodie goody bag.
Thank you so much to everyone who entered last month’s competition, we loved reading all your tips and tricks. The winner will be notified by email 🙂
Come and say hello at Fitfoodie.ie or Facebook (Fit Foodie by Derval O’Rourke) and Instagram (@dervalfitfoodie)