Blog November 2017
Can you believe its November already?
The constant reminders that Christmas is coming, and fast, are enough to make anyone stressed. So with this in mind I’m sharing my top tips on how to get some good rest plus a quick home workout guaranteed to leave you feeling amazing.
Eat well: Rest is one of the most important aspects of your fitness routine. It’s just as important as eating well and exercise. From my experience as an elite athlete I found that many lifestyle decisions can help my sleep quality. Here are the ones I find best:
- Digital Detox– I aim to have my phone on silent and my laptop turned off by 9pm.
- Magnesium – I love an epsom salt bath. It’s great for helping to relax the muscles and calm the mind.
- Limit caffeine- Try switching to herbal teas as the day winds down. Caffeine stimulates the adrenal glands which can leave you wired and unable to sleep.
- Bedtime snacking- Aim for a tryptophan rich snack; tryptophan is needed to make our sleep hormone, melatonin. An example would be oat cakes, almond butter and banana.
Keep moving: This is a simple, no fuss circuit that can be completed anywhere with nothing but a chair. I love simple ways to keep fit and this is one of them.
- Triceps dip (Keep your elbows close to the side of your body) x 8 reps
- Angled plank (Hands on edge of the chair and looking at the ground) with alternate shoulder taps x 10 taps on each shoulder
- Half Squats (sit down and tip your bum off the chair, keep your chest out for good posture) x 8 reps
- Step ups x right and left leg (focus on pushing through the heel that is on the chair to lift yourself up) x 10 each leg
Repeat the circuit x 3 sets with a 60-90 second break between each set.